|A caregiver is anyone who provides personal service for an elder person who cannot do for themselves. This may entail running errands one hour a week to a family member being on call daily. |
Caregivers are most likely to be close family members, such as spouses, children, parents, and others. Caregivers may also be hired from reputable companies. Whoever is the caregiver needs special support from the rest of the family. Because of emotional ties, and because most people have other obligations, such as work or other family responsibilities,the burn-out rate is high. It is highly suggested that the caregiver belong to a support group. One of the things to be learned is where to draw personal boundaries. The benefits of talking with other caregivers is to avoid certain pitfalls and learn shortcuts to caring service.
The Pros and Cons of Being a Caregiver:
- Stagnating career Caregiver is less able to relocate, transfer or accept promotions.
- Income strain Home care can be expensive and leave less money for trips or investments.
- Health setbacks Caregiving may lead to more absences at work or early retirement, causing a decrease in productivity at the workplace.
- Employer costs Companies lose when employees miss work to car for family.
- Stalled parenting Many delay having children because of the timeand hardship of caring for parents.
- Emotinally draining Seeing the detrimental effects of aging can be exhausting.
- Stronger relationships Remaining closer to your parent(s) and maintaining daily contact.
- Greaterprotection Parents are insulated from fraud and elder abuse.
- Peace of mind Knowing you're doing all you can for your parents.
- Income boost Some parents can pay their children to care for them on a part- or full-time basis.
- Blood ties Caregivers with a personal stake in another's welfare may offer better overall care and nurture.
The Organized Estate - Professional residential organizing, Elder issues advocate services, Personal papers and records sorting, filing and evaluation, Real Estate sale support.